italian boy

italian boy

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

turkey meatball soup with basil and fresh tomatoes


A couple weeks ago when we were all snowed in, DC shut down, and no one went to work for a week I came up with this yummy lunch. Just start out by preparing any stock and bring to a boil- I had half beef stock and half broccoli in my freezer (perfect combination but use whatever you prefer- mushroom, chicken, et cetera) at the same time I mixed ground turkey with an egg, some breadcrumbs, dried parsley, salt and pepper. I mixed it all together with my hands then rolled them into tini balls. Drop them in (1/2 inch or less) of hot frying oil till they get golden brown. If you don't want to fry, baking is fine too. Once the stock is hot enough, ladle some out in a big bowl with a handful of mini meatballs, some fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. A nice garnish with this is to add some roasted green onions: drizzle a handful of fresh onions with olive oil, broil them till they're crispy, and add as the finishing touch. This is a great Winter (or Summer for that matter) soup that is pretty low fat, has some great fresh flavors and will warm your soul.

1 comment:

kris said...

looks so good!



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog