italian boy

italian boy

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

big baked mussels

Baked mussels are one of my favorite dishes (clams are just as delicious). Get a bag of nice fresh mussels, wash and brush them, debeard them and with a dull non serrated knife open them up. To open, hold the mussel and knife in the same hand while wedging the knife against the hinge of the shell. Squeeze with both hands (as if you had two walnuts in your hand and were cracking them) and one side should slide open. It takes a while to master it and if you didn't understand exactly how I can try to expain it better later. I do believe these days you can purchase fresh mussels already opened if you have a proper fish market- I've also seen them [but never tried them] frozen. Anyway, look in the half shell and be sure to remove any small bits of broken shell. Line them up in a large oven safe pan then sprinkle fresh parsley, grated parmesan cheese, chopped garlic black pepper, hot pepper flakes, a touch of tomato sauce if you have some and finally drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top. Throw it in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes till they start to brown. These are fantastic, should be eaten warm and be sure to savor the juices at the bottom of the pan. It takes a while to make but you can prepare and refrigerate them raw in large batches a few hours ahead of time before entertaining. Hands down one of my favorite treats.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog