italian boy

italian boy

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

stuffed sardines

If you say you don't like sardines just because you remember smelling them once as a child when your Grandfather was eating them out of a can then you need to refresh your taste buds. Sardines are a delicious, delicate, meaty and incredible sustainable fish to eat.
  Buy them fresh just like any other fish, have them cleaned ahead of time if you don't want to get your counter top dirty and then the key for this recipe (and a handfull of others is to debone the fish, simply by running your fingernail (or a knife) down the spine and removing it from the meat leaving one large flat fillet.
Its quite easy actually.  Then make the stuffing of mashed potato, a fresh egg, some grated parmiggiano or other hard salty Italian cheese (some people say never to combine cheese and fish but I come from a family of shepards- cheese was always around so it was often used and its delicious),  fresh parsley, hot pepper, black pepper and some fresh garlic if you have it.  Mix everything together by hand- you'll see it has a great consistency- the grab a handfull and gently pack it into the cavity of the sardine. After they're all stuffed, roll them in some all purpose flour and then drop them into hot oil.  Fry until golden browm like the photo above. If you're afraid of frying, brush them with some olive oil and bake in the oven on 400 till the get the same color (15 or so minutes).  These go great as a part of a FRITTO MISTO, or a mix of fried seafood like calamari, shrimp, other white fish, or just by itself with a side of rice some lemon or maybe even some linguine.  Buon appetito!

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog