italian boy

italian boy

Friday, April 2, 2010

TIP: ground beef

Its almost grilling season and I'm just sending out a quick reminder that when buying ground meat you should NOT always be picking up the cheapest deal in town (especially if you like a rare burger like I do).  Many stores are shipping in factory farmed meats from across the country with various fillers and enough containments it could make you go vegan if you read to much about it.  Try to look for labels that read "ground in house"  or at least specify no fillers.  I'm pretty sure some Giant and Harris Teeter grocery stores do.  I know Whole Foods does.  If its not in the cards for you either because of price or availability then just be sure not to undercook your meat (especially for the little kids), and a yummy tip is to season your hamburger meat  with some salt, pepper, your favorite spices, and vinegar or lime juice.  It tastes great, makes a gourmet burger, and the salt, spices and acidity added can kill some bacteria that might be hiding.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog