italian boy

italian boy

Thursday, August 20, 2009

slammin red lentiles

This is totally dinner and lunch for the next day for just a couple bucks.... In a large shallow skillet toss in some onions and garlic with a touch of olive oil. Add some [optional] stew or fajita sliced beef (you can substitute with bell peppers), and on low heat cook until the meat browns and the onions become translucent. I like to add a good mouthful of red wine (kidding, 1/2 a cup, let that reduce and then quickly add a cup of water and pour in a bag (about 1/2 a pound) of washed red lentils and stir constantly until fully incorporated- be sure to add enough water so everything is just submerged. Cook this for 15- 20 minutes on low, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to be sure nothing sticks and when the lentils seem to have absorbed all the liquid and are tender to the taste, remove from heat, add a handful of fresh parsely, some black pepper if you like, even some sour cream if you'd like this a bit richer, serve and enjoy.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog