italian boy

italian boy

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

chilies rellenos (peppers stuffed with all kinds of goodness...then fried)

This isn't very difficult- just a couple more steps than the norm. Use whole fresh Poblano (Ancho) or Anaheim peppers. They're available at almost all grocery stores. Wash them well, make a small vertical slit near the stem and put them on the grill on low heat, in a nonstick pan on low-medium heat or in the broiler away from the flame. Keep turning them until most of the pepper is blistered. Remove from the heat and start to cool. At the same time in a food processor eyeball 1.5 parts of your favorite cheese (pepper jack, chedder, even mozarella- depends on how 'sharp' or 'smooth' you want it) and one part boiled potato (the potato will add much desired texture, flavor and will slow the cheese from running- a trick often not used in restaurants). Some cilantro, garlic, and jalapeƱos if you so desire. Blend them together till you start to get a smooth thick paste/mixture then divide that evenly among the peppers. Trying to squeeze everything through the small slit you made earlier (its OK if it tears larger just try and keep the seam going vertically), stuff the peppers as much as you can without letting them burst. Then gently roll the stuffed chilies in one or two beaten eggs and then into all purpose flour and carefully lower them seam side down into a shallow pan with 1/2 to an inch of hot oil. Keep it there about 2 minutes until golden brown and repeat with the rest. Try to serve these hot, guacamole or a green salad is a great compliment. I also added yellow rice and chicken kebabs (see previous post) as well. Its a couple more steps than my usual meals but so worth the effort and very impressive!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

omg - thank you so much for these amazing vegetarian recipes. They look so good and easy to make.

nell8888 said...

These look intensely good and I've already forwarded the link off to a few others that also plan on making this. Thanks!



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog