italian boy

italian boy

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

spicy lime lettuce wraps with peanut, ginger, white beans and minced pork

These lettuce wraps are one of the funnest things you can eat- especially with a small group wrapped around the kitchen table.  Everyone gets in with their hands, its potentially messy, goes great with beer and DELICIOUS.  In a [very] large pan or skillet, sautee a chopped yellow onion, a chopped piece of ginger (about the size of your thumb) and a habanero pepper with some salt and ground black pepper.  Let that cook down for a bit and add 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce, the juice of 2-3 limes, two flats of ground pork (I prefer pork for this but feel free to substitute beef or turkey) and break up the meat as it starts to cook.  While thats cooking throw 2 cups of peanuts into a food processor or chop them by hand.  As the pork cooks add a bit more soy sauce and lime juice then as everything starts to 'dry out', move the meat to the side and crack 3 eggs on the bare bottom of the pan, break the yolk then let them cook.  When the eggs are almost done, scramble them into the meat.  Shut the heat off, and add two cans of drained white navy beans, about half the chopped peanuts and a large handful of chopped cilantro. Add more fresh lime juice to taste and serve in the center of your table with a plate of washed lettuce leaves, a small bowl of chopped peanuts, lime wedges, slices of jalapeños for the adventurous ones, mung bean sprouts  (if you can get your hands on them) and plum sauce. You should be able to figure out the rest: STUFF, TOP, WRAP AND EAT!

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog