italian boy

italian boy

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

mushroom risotto

So there's really no healthy way to get around this but every once in a while you need to indulge- ESPECIALLY on a rainy winter day like this.  Over low heat in a large pot, coat the bottom with bit of olive oil and sautee half a red onion and some fresh garlic with about a tablespoon of salt.  Then toss in a 2 cups of unrinsed arboro rice (we always use arboro for risotti) and toast that for about 30 seconds to a minute, constantly stirring.  Add a cup and a half of white wine and half a stick of butter.  Once everything mixes and sets (about another minute or two) add a cup and a half of chopped, dried porcini mushrooms and four cups of water (for a richer risotto substitute a broth for the water just be careful as it can get salty).  Once that all comes to a boil I like to throw in a diced tomato or two and finely chopped chives if you have them, give it a big stir, cover and shut the heat of.  Let that to sit for 15-20 minutes and the rice should absorb all the liquid.  In the end the risotto should be thick but loose and not watery.  If it turns out too dry and the rice is a bit crunchy, stir in more water or broth over low heat, half a cup to a cup at a time- and if you feel its too loose just keep it over low heat for a bit- just be sure it doesn't stick to the bottom. Just before serving add 3/4 of a cup of grated parmigiano cheese, plate and serve with some cracked pepper and some fresh mint or basil leaves. 

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog