italian boy

italian boy

Monday, December 13, 2010

Pasta e fagioli

Craving pasta but looking for some extra protein and fiber?  This is something my parents would often make in the winter with the leftover pinto beans from the garden that they would freeze.  In our case today, used drained and canned pinto beans or soak and drain the dried ones.  Some people like to make this more soupy but i Like mine better like this.  Choose your pasta but keep the shape small enough to match the shape of the beans- orechiette work perfectly.  Then in a saucepan with olive oil, sautee a chopped yellow onion with some hot pepper (I’ve been using habaneros these days) and a bit of salt.  After the onions soften put your pasta pot with water to boil and add 2-3 chopped tomatoes to the saucepan. After about a minute add 2 cans (or the equivalent) of the pinto beans, cover and leave on low heat.  After the pasta is aldente, drain the water, then mix the beans with the pasta in the same large pot over medium to high heat for 30 seconds to a minute stirring constantly then plate and serve with some black pepper (fresh parsley if you have it) and your favorite grated cheese.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog