italian boy

italian boy

Friday, July 16, 2010

lentils with edamame, cauliflower and corn

I love me good dish of lentils- they're cheap and crazy healthy too.  This is perfect especially if you've been gorging on burgers and macaroni salads at back yard barbecues all summer long and need a "cleanse."  Throw some chopped onions and garlic in a large pot with hot pepper, oil and salt and start to cook on medium heat till the onions soften.  Add half a bottle of beer and let that reduce a bit then add a bag of dried but washed lentils and cover with about an inch of water.  Simmer on medium heat. After about 15-20 minutes when the lentils start to soften (but are still pretty al dente), throw in a whole head of washed and chopped cauliflower.  Let it all cook together for about 10 minutes then add a bag of frozen edamame and frozen corn.  Another 5 minutes, give it a good stir and there's your dinner. You can eat this hot as is, with yogurt and naan or pita, or sometimes if I want it cold as a side I add touch of vinegar for that added tang in acidity.  Screw Activia, this'll make you regular.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog