italian boy

italian boy

Friday, March 6, 2009

black linguine with a red dungeness sauce

So my parents came to visit not too long ago and I wanted to make something special- still super easy though. I got 1/2 a kilo of black linguine (which is an Italian specialty- pasta with squid ink mixed with the dough) which you can find at many specialty stores but unless you live near lots of Italians you might need to make a special order. OTHERWISE, just use regular linguine - or tagliatelle if you come across them. So thats the pasta- throw that in boiling water 15 minutes before you want to serve and you're done. For the sauce, again its the simples thing - just a plain marinara with something special. Dice a whole yellow onion and toss it in a large pan or pot with a little olive oil on the bottom and give a sprinkle of salt on low heat. Once the onions become transparent add a large can of diced tomatoes. Leave it on the lowest heat possible, stir occasionally and try not to let it boil- If you're in a rush and just came home from work, crank the heat up but watch the pot so it wont stick and you can have this done in 15 minutes... if you have the time, savor the moment and slow cook your food- my mother says it always tastes better that way... Well, I bought two half clusters of dungeness crabs- which have such a delicate taste- just add them in the sauce for the last 30-40 minutes it was cooking (if your speeding through this on a higher heat they really only need to cook a few minutes till after they're red). If you like use another type of crab, otherwise cleaned shrimp or lobster works great too. Using these types of seafood you get a very subtle non-overpowering seafood sauce. For me its just the right amount. Taste it to make sure you don't need any salt, shut off the heat (at this point your pasta should be done and drained), combine the linguine with the sauce, give it a good stir, add a generous amount of FRESH parsley and serve. This was one of those meals that was so good I ate until well after I was full. So worth it.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog