italian boy

italian boy

Saturday, January 24, 2009

sweet potato chips

okay i realized ive been writing about fried stuff for a while and trust me i dont cook that unhealthy all the time... but this dish is ALSO fried... and served with sour cream it can be considered a heart attack on a plate... but its so good. so so so good. peel a couple sweet potatos (think one per person) then slice them long ways WITH the potato peeler so you end up getting chips. heat a finger or two of vegetable oil in a pot [you dont have to make them spicy but LOVE them this way] drop in one habanero pepper* sliced in half, let that fry (to season the oil) then drop in the strips of potato. move them around so they dont stick and when they start to brown remove them to a paper towel to drain. they'll still be flippity floppity when you take them out but they'll get crisp when they dry. sprinkle them with sea salt and serve them next to a bowl of sour cream.. so bad but SOOOO good. you can prepare these a day or two in advance. great for superbowl parties or anything similar. hot, sweet and salty all in one with the rich sour cream to cool it all off. mmmm.

*peppers can sometimes be unpredictable so be careful- if youre afraid it might be too hot try a jalopeno then next time move up to a habanero. its better they be not spicy enough and you can add pepper afterwards.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog