italian boy

italian boy

Saturday, January 24, 2009

fried calamari

for a fun seafood dinner this is a great appetizer that you doesnt have to be eaten only in a restaurant. most grocery stores sell precut cleaned frozen calamari rings- those work perfectly. let them thaw then get a ziplock bag and fill it 1/3 of the way with all-purpose flower, throw the calamari rings (which should naturally already be moist, if you want you can dip them in beer so they come out crispier or some people like them in buttermilk but really i think those or just unnecessary calories) in the same bag with the flour give it a good shake so they all get a nice coating, take them out and carefully drop them into a pot with 1 to 2 fingers of hot vegetable oil. while frying move them gently with a metal fork or spoon so they cook evenly and dont stick together, then slowly remove them from the oil letting them rain and place them all a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. they're best served hot with lemmon wedges but theyr fine at room temperature. experiment with fun dipping sauces, a spicy marinara always goes well, a garlic mayo is yummy too. you can even just fill little bowls with assored salad dressings and diping sauces so theres a variety for everyone.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog