italian boy

italian boy

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

eggplant rollatini

Fantastic soul warming and traditional Italian treat that my mom would often make. Have you marinara sauce ready prepared on the side. Get your eggplant, peel and slice it in long sheets, dredge them in flour, dip them in egg, and gently place them in a finger or two of hot fying oil for about a minute on each side or till they're golden brown. Transfer them to a paper towel to cool. Then get standard casserole and put a thin coating of marinara sauce on the bottom.  Get your sheets of fried eggplant and roll them with a long piece of mozarella inside (freezing your mozzarella before you cut it works best) and a leaf or 2 of fresh basil. Line up all the rollatini, drizzle some more marinara sauce on top, grate some parmigiano and throw it in the oven at 375-400 for 20 minutes. Let it cool for 10 -15 more and YOU ARE DONE. Fantastic

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog