italian boy

italian boy

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

healthy office snacks so you can save the bad decisions for 3am on a saturday


Recently, I've found myself chatting about what to snack on in the office.  Healthy snacks so you can make up for situations like the photo above.  Easy, non or minimal prep foods you can pick up at the corner store or CVS that don't require you to spend an entire evening dehydrating fruit to make home-made paleo protein bars.  Unfortunately for me, my supplies have been limited lately, so whenever someone brings in brownies or I see Girl Scout cookies in the kitchen they end up in my mouth before I can even count the calories.  Well, I just made a list of a couple snack ideas (in no particular order) that are easy to find, that help in keeping your metabolism raised, that can curb your appetite, and provide you with lots of nutrients, vitamins, and essential fats. The key is that you still need to ration and diversify your snack intake- eating half a jar of peanut butter (guilty face) will really do you no good, BUT if you have an assortment of these ingredients at your desk or in the fridge, they're great to snack on or even substitute as a lunch. From the list below, think: one hard-boiled egg, one piece of fruit, one string cheese, 5 almonds, a celery stick dipped in peanut butter, and a couple carrots dipped in hummus. THAT is a healthy way to keep you going throughout the day.
Modify, add to, and save this list in your phone so when you're at the grocery store you can remember to stock up on some healthy options.
  • celery
  • celery dipped in hummus or peanut butter (with no sugar added)
  • carrots
  • carrots and hummus
  • bell pepper strips
  • salsa
  • hard boiled eggs- sans the yoke
  • an avocado
  • light mozarella string cheese
  • beef jerky (they say only grass fed) 
  • turkey jerky
  • mixed nuts
  • cucumbers
  • cucumbers and hummus, salsa, cream cheese
  • canned or bagged tuna or salmon (sriracha makes that palatable) 
  • good quality dark chocolate (like, not Hershey) 
  • lunch meat (turkey, chicken, a good quality ham) 
  • sliced cheese (be aware of the fat content) 
  • scoop of your favorite protein shake in H20
  • berries
  • one fruit (orange, banana, apple)
  • olives
  • dried seaweed
  • edamame
  • small yogurt
  • pickles 
  • kimchee
  • miso soup mix
  • steam-in-bag vegetables
  • raw vegetables
  • cooked shrimp
  • cottage cheese

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog