italian boy

italian boy

Monday, July 9, 2012

low carb, high protein, nutrient rich stir-fry


Lately, when I leave the gym after work and don't have immediate happy hour or dinner plans, I try not to pig out on something that will ruin whatever I accomplished in my workout.  So, depending on what my fitness goals are I often times aim for low carb, high protein, nutrient rich meals.  If I'm in a rush an easy go-to meal you can put together in 15-20 minutes goes just like this:  In a large pan coated with olive oil  sautee garlic, onion and chili pepper then quickly brown a pack of ground pork or turkey.  Instead of plain salt I like to use a combination of fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice- but if you're concerned with gluten or are watching your sodium intake just sprinkle table salt sparingly and squeeze a lime or two.  Once that's almost fully cooked drop in a bag of frozen vegetables.  Pictured here was a bag of broccoli and some corn. Cover and let simmer till the vegetables are fully cooked. Last, push everything to the side of the pan and drop in an egg or two, let it almost fully cook and break it up to mix with the rest.  That's it. Plate and serve.  If you have some fresh cilantro and crushed peanuts add that otherwise dig right in- leftovers pack perfectly for lunch the next day.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog