italian boy

italian boy

Thursday, November 11, 2010

fresh and healthy meat chili

In a large pot, coat the bottom with olive oil and sautee some chopped onions, carrots, celery, and jalapeños  till they begin to soften.  Throw in a package of ground beef* with a 2 tablespoons or Worcestershire sauce and slowly cook till the meat is no longer pink.  Get a bag of frozen bell pepper strips and trow them in a blender with olive oil, juice from 3-4 limes, garlic and some salt.  Add the blended peppers to the pot with 2 cups of frozen corn.  Let everything get to a light boil and reduce the heat to simmer.  Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans, a can of white beans and a can garbanzo beans to the pot.  Simmer for another 5 minutes and serve warm with cracked black pepper and a lemon wedge.  Fresh herbs always make a nice touch too. 

*I only ever you beef that's been ground in the store.  That way you know its one or two or three pieces of clean meat that get fed by and into a grinder and with no filler.  Prepackaged beef or "hamburger meat" often has filler and is processed in industrial facilities where attention is not always given to cleanliness of the food or equipment.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog