italian boy

italian boy

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pasta and broccoli rabe with fried garlic and chilies

A unique pasta dish that doesn't get old- and shockingly healthy.  Buy two nice bunches of broccoli rabe, wash them well, cut the ends and split and thick harder stalks.  Put an extra large pot of water over the heat with a bit of salt and when it gets to a hard boil throw in the broccoli rabe and a pound of pasta.  Stir occasionally till it gets back to a boil.  At the same time in a frying pan over low heat- just lightly brown some garlic and chopped fresh chilies in olive oil and a bit of salt (I like habanero peppers for the extra kick).  When the pasta is done (15 minutes or so- aldente by taste) drain the water well, toss every thing in a large bowl and pour the hot garlic and pepper seasoned oil over top.  Mix and serve.  This spicy-bitter-savory combination is a great and refreshing meal for a nice summer day.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog