italian boy

italian boy

Thursday, February 5, 2009

spicy asian meat patties in a lime, soy and cilantro dipping sauce

i thought this up while daydreaming over my excel spreadsheets in the office. pretty quick to do and you can prepare it all hours in advance. in a bowl i put in a package of ground pork (you can use turkey if pork doesn't float your boat), one egg, 2 hot chili peppers (be careful, you dont want to poison your food- less is better than more), chopped green onions, bread crumbs, black pepper and salt. kinda like prepping meatballs, mix it all together, roll them into tangerine-sized balls and leave them aside (or refrigerated) till your ready. when your good to go in a low pan barely coat the bottom with olive oil and then add 10-15 drops of sesame oil (you dont have to use any sesame oil- or you can use only sesame oil - thats what gives it that distinct Asian flavor- depends on your taste), let the oil get hot, flatten each of the balls into patties and carefully lay them in the pan. takes just 2-4 minutes on each side- let them brown then remove to a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. if you dont feel like pan frying them broil them till they brown on each side.
for a dipping sauce i mixed together half a cup of soy sauce with half a cup of water, a fist full of chopped cilantro, minced garlic, the juice of one large full lime and some cracked pepper.
this is a great appetizer or perfect served with some rice or a salad with ginger dressing.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog