italian boy

italian boy

Thursday, October 16, 2008

the fishphone

so some of you may or may not be familiar with the "fish card" ... there are a number of different versions put out by various organizations [ http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/mobile/sfw/ ] where you print out a card that you stick in your wallet that has a list of the safer more sustainable fish to eat and the unhealthy and endangered fish that one should try to avoid [rated in categories of green, yellow or red] ... well that was a great idea but now theres something even better, the Fishphone."FishPhone can be accessed... via your mobile phone simply by texting 30644 with the message "FISH," followed by the name of the fish in question. You'll soon receive a response text with the makers of the service, Blue Ocean Institute's, assessment. And if your seafood of choice ends up being of dubious quality or harmful to the environment, they'll offer some better alternatives." http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2008/10/fishphone.php

this is a great resource and extremely helpful if youre undecided in a restaurant or a grocery store. every little bit helps, especially when it comes to overfishing.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog