italian boy

italian boy

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

great summer chops

so this is a great fresh summertime dinner- but really i dont see why you cant eat it all year long. its ridiculous how easy this complicated looking meal is..... sooooo i picked up two pork chops, gave them a quick rinse (always a good idea) and put them in a bowl and each side got a coating of garlic powder, cumin and a few drops of soy sauce. i set that down for a minute and loosely chopped an onion or two and a few tomatoes. then i put my large frying pan on the stove with barely a coatin gof olive oil, when it got hot I quickly lowered the pork chops in with a pair of tongs, braised one side, flipped them over to braise the other side(braising immediately flash cooks just the outer layer of the meat so it locks in all the juices and prevents it from drying out). I lowered the heat to just a simmer, filled the rest of the frying pan with the onions and tomatoes, covered it and let it sit. now after about 5-10 minutes i turned the pork chops over, but the easiest thing about this dish is when you see the onions are cooked down and slightly translucent, then the meat is done. cut a little side near the bone to double check if youre not sure but really its a fool proof way of preparing these. its great becasue like this you have the main course of the pork chop with a side of stewed tomatos and onions, and at the same time i made a side of plain white rice with olive oil (butter tastes better but obv not as healthy) and a fair amount of fresh parsley; corn on the cobb (which boils PERFECTLY in an asparagus steamer.. ill write about that another time); and a salad of tomatos onions and cucumber. this if great because you've got a lean meat dish, plenty of fresh in season produce, and its easy quick healthy and full of flavor.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog