italian boy

italian boy

Friday, July 11, 2008

such and easy paella and SOOO good.

i cheated a little on this but its so so so good and so so so easy. Unfortunately, no true Spaniard would ever call this a paella but for American standards and that yellow rice and seafood craving this will do the trick ;)
i got my large deep pan, quickly toasted some pine nuts in olive oil then toasted my washed rice (2-3 cups) for a few seconds. then i poured in probably 2 cups of white wine. now is when you add your saffron stamen, or goya seasoning packet- whatever.. salt papper. make sure the rice is just covered with water and as it continues to absorb it add more water. at this point i put in a handfull of peas and a diced tomato or two. stir occasionally and taste test the rice when its done.
about 10, 15 minutes into this, i sautéed d 1/2 a pound of peeled shrimp with 1/2 a pound of sea scallops in garlic and olive oil (the shrimp cook faster than the scallops so make sure you remove them). in a sauce pan with 1/4 inch of water i steamed about a dozen little neck clams.
the seafood is done around the same time as the rice and when its all finished i added the scallops, clams and shrimp, juices and all to the rice. a goof handfull of fresh parsley and i was done.
DELICIOUS!!!
so so good. obviously there are infinite varieties whether you want to use chicken or chorizo or octopus-- whatever floats your boat- it just so easy to cook whatever you want separately and add it to a flavorful fluffy yellow rice with plenty of fresh herbs.

No comments:



About Me

My photo
Hi there, my name is Giacomo and I enjoy things delicious. Long story short, my parents moved from Italy to NJ where I grew up (and loved it) but found myself in Washington, DC fourteen years ago and haven’t yet found an excuse to leave. Food has always been a huge part of my day and life… from happy times, sad times, holidays, drunken escapades and all the rest in between, I’ve usually spent a good portion of that time putting something in my mouth. I guess I started this blog a little while ago to keep track of what I was cooking and places I’d eat-- simply because my friends were always asking “how do you make this” or “where do you get that” but surprisingly over time I guess real people started reading too. SO, take a look around and let me know what you think. You’ll see that the backbone of lots of my food is Italian but I manage to cover most bases. Thanks for stopping by. BUON APPETITO!

Search This Blog